A Culinary Adventure in Istanbul
Presented by BoatShed Cheese
May, 2022 (8 days / 7 nights)
Day 1 – Saturday ARRIVAL
- PM: Check in to our home for the week – an intimate boutique hotel right in the historical heart of Istanbul. Relax and unpack before meeting the group at 5pm for a walk and dinner.
Day 2 – Sunday Historical Istanbul
- Breakfast followed by a guided historical walking tour, taking in some of the most compelling sites – the original roman Hippodrome, the architectural marvel that is the Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace and the Underground Cistern which was the largest water reservoir during Roman times. Our private guide will be able to answer all your historical questions as well as give us an insight into life in Istanbul through the centuries.
- Late afternoon at leisure before dinner at a fabulous local bistro.
- *Note, as this is Anzac Day, for those interested, we will endeavour to arrange a Dawn Service to commemorate this special day. Please advise your interest.
- Dinner tonight is at one of my favourite places in town where the chef cooks, depending on his mood!
Day 3 – Monday May
WALKING FOOD TOUR, ASIAN SIDE, SUNSETS
- Now that we have a basic understanding of the history of Istanbul, it’s time to delve into the diverse and delicious Turkish cuisine that has been shaped over centuries by the spice and silk roads, and various ethnicities that called this city home. This delicious food tour starts with a late local breakfast on the Asian side, followed by a walking, talking, tasting morning where we discover the secret favourites of the locals. We’ll enjoy a range of savory and sweet dishes across 7 establishments and finish with Turkish mint tea or coffee.
- This afternoon, enjoy some private time to imbibe the sights and scents of the city – enjoy a drink and watch the world go by, or indulge in some retail therapy.
- Dinner tonight at favourite roof top restaurant which has an amazing terrace – ideal for watching the sunset.
Day 4 – Tuesday May
COOKING CLASS, TURKISH SPA
- Breakfast followed by a day designed to recharge the batteries. This morning we enjoy a relaxing and informative private cooking class by a local chef and after we’ve watched him create some local favourites, we’ll enjoy lunch together.
- This afternoon you have the option to enjoy the relaxation of the Turkish Hamam (steam bath) and spa treatments at our hotel. Their luxurious spa facility is renowned and a range of spa treatments is available to suit your needs.
- *Must be booked in advance. If you prefer, you can enjoy an afternoon at leisure – shop, rest or wander around the fabulous local neighbourhoods and enjoy dinner wherever you choose.
Day 5 – Wednesday May
FERRY RIDES, KADIKOY, GRAND & SPICE BAZAAR
- Today we ramp up the excitement again and after breakfast, our private guide will escort us to the Asian side of Istanbul via a local ferry to Kadikoy where we will discover a laid back neighbourhood, famed for local delicacies such as Turkish Pizza, stuffed mussels and the famed fish sandwich – a ‘must’ when sampling the local cuisine – ideally eaten out of its wrapping under the shade of the Galata Bridge!
- We will walk the winding streets, peppered with colourful murals and peruse the hip boutiques before taking in the view from the Moda neighbourhood across the Sea of Marmara toward Sultanahmet.
- After a ferry ride back to the European side, we spend an afternoon at the overwhelmingly huge Grand Bazaar and the more seductive Spice Bazaar where our guide will give us an introduction to the history and specialities before setting you lose to enjoy some retail therapy. Try fabulous mint tea, spice blends and the famed Turkish Delight (not the mass produced kind you are expecting!!). I’ll also take you to my absolute favouite Turkish delight shop on the alley leading to the bazaar.
- I suspect tonight you will appreciate some quiet time for a snack and an early night but for those wanting a restaurant dinner, suggestions will be available.
Day 6 – Thursday May
BOSPHORUS CRUISE, PRINCES ISLANDS, MOVEABLE FEAST
- We take the pace down a notch today and enjoy a relaxing breakfast before a day on the water. We cruise the Bosphorus and explore some of the secrets it has to offer include the Princes Islands – a chain of 9 small islands in the Sea of Marmara which evolved as a place of exile during the Byzantine era. All motorised vehicles are banned so we will enjoy a horse and carriage ride to enjoy the sites and the serenity – the silence here after the frantic pace of Istanbul is literally a breath of fresh air!
- Dinner tonight is a relaxed and fun gourmet evening, enjoying food, music and the culture of Istanbul.
- Dinner tonight has intentionally been left ‘open’ so that we can decide what we all feel like. I have lots of suggstions to ‘whet’ your appetite.
Day 7 – Friday May
BAKLAVA CLASS, LAST MINUTE SHOPPING, FAREWELL DINNER
- Breakfast together then a ‘hands on’ baklava class so that you can create those delicious morsels you’ve been enjoying all week. After the class, enjoy some free time. Perhaps go back to those places you loved for some last minute shopping or to just relax and enjoy the afternoon to imprint the memory of Istanbul on your senses.
- Dinner tonight is a special event – a delicious Turkish dinner in one of Istanbul’s best restaurants!
Day 8 – Saturday May
- Relaxing breakfast together before we go our separate ways. Those joining me in France will have some time before our flight in the early afternoon (cost included).
Rate per person sharing twin room: € 2950
Single supplement: € 600
TO BOOK PLEASE CONTACT:
Tamara at BoatShed Cheese
Rate per person includes:
- 7 nights boutique accommodation historical centre
- 7 gourmet breakfasts
- Lunches and dinners as per programme
- Personal guides and day trips
- Cooking classes, walking tours and tastings
My first trip overseas without children or husband and what an absolutely wonderful and unforgettable experience it was, due in no small part to Tamara of Boatshed Cheese. Her expertise, patience, guidance, and recommendations, and the little extra touches she planned for us every step of the way, combined to make this one of the most enjoyable travel experiences of my life. I would heartily recommend Tamara of Boatshed Cheese to anyone contemplating a gourmet tour. I have already booked my next trip!! Sarah, Melbourne.
…the perfect trip away for anyone interested in food and cooking and Tamara was always there to coordinate everything for us. I have learnt so much, and made new friends along the way. Tamara, thankyou for the food adventure of a lifetime!
Sue English-Donkers, Melbourne
…the most fantastic culinary adventure I have experienced! I cannot express strongly enough, how much I recommend Tamara and the expert team she has put together to plan our Culinary Journey through the finest regions of France. This trip was a dream come true and I look forward to the next! Laura, USA
We reserve the right to substitute some activities on the itinerary in circumstances (such as weather) which are beyond our control